Chromas is a free trace viewer for simple DNA sequencing projects which do not require assembly of multiple sequences. Chromas has the following features:
- Opens .ab1 chromatogram files from Applied Biosystems DNA sequencers.
- Opens SCF and ZTR format chromatogram files created by other sequencers or retrieved from databases.
- Save in .scf or Applied Biosystems .ab1 format.
- Print a chromatogram with options to zoom or fit to one page.
- Automatic removal of low-quality sequence (when quality data is available) or vector sequences.
- Export sequences in plain text, FASTA, FASTQ, EMBL, GenBank or GCG formats, or formatted with base numbering for presentation.
- Copy the sequence to the clipboard in plain text, FASTA or FASTQ format for pasting into other applications.
- Reverse & complement the sequence and chromatogram.
- Search for subsequences by exact matching or optimal alignment.
- Display translations in 3 frames along with the sequence.
- Copy an image of a chromatogram section for pasting into documents or presentations.
- Batch processing, including format conversion, sequence export with vector removal, batch printing and batch export of raw data.
- Enhance .ab1 files using the PeakTrace RP component from Nucleics Pty Ltd to improve peak readability and extract more high-quality bases.
Compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10. Version history.
Mac beta version for OSX 10.6 – 10.14 (not Catalina): download (52 Mb). Note: this is a beta test and uses the Wine emulator program to run the Windows version under Mac OSX.
Chromas is free of charge. The PeakTrace RP component requires registration for a free account, and is a paid service after the 40 free units have been used. An introductory discount is available by following the link under the Options menu in Chromas.
If you need to assemble multiple overlapping sequence reads, please see ChromasPro.